We try not to engage in too much self-congratulation, but we’re taking a moment to wish ourselves a Happy Anniversary! Eight years ago, on April 1, 2009 (Yes, it was April Fools Day!), the College Parent Central website was launched with the hope that we could help parents understand and make the transition to a new style of parenting as their sons and daughters became college students.
We continue to believe, as we did eight years ago, that parents need information and guidance in order to best support their college student to succeed. We’ve been more than pleased throughout the last eight years to hear from many parents who have found that our information has, indeed, helped them transition and help their students.
Thank you to those who have supported us and shared our information with others!
It is always a good idea, from time to time, to reflect on your roots. Each time we look back to the purpose that drove us to launch College Parent Central, we reaffirm that our basic principles haven’t changed.
- We believe that parents can be important partners in their child’s education from pre-school through college.
- We believe that most parents want to be involved in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that parents do have a place in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that many parents don’t know how to be involved in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that many parents don’t understand today’s college experience. (Those of us who attended college ourselves need to learn how the college experience has changed in the twenty-first century.)
Eight years later, some of the subjects of our posts may have changed in ways we couldn’t have imagined eight years ago, but the underlying principles that anchor us and drive us remain the same.
In spite of unchanging principles, we’ve continued to evolve and grow over the last eight years.