Graduation is a special season for your student – and for you! Whether your student is graduating from high school or from college, the event marks a milestone. Your student is proud, you are proud, and everyone should celebrate. This is an achievement worthy of praise and of celebrating accomplishments – and the future.
For many families, graduation also means gifts, and many parents stress over finding just the right gift for this big occasion. We’d like to share a few thoughts – and then offer some help to get your creative juices flowing as you try to think of the perfect gift.
What should you think about as you decide on a gift?
- Of course, gifts of money are always appreciated. This is especially true if you know there is something that your student would like that might be a big expense, or something that you know your student would like to pick out himself. Cash is always welcome.
- As you think about a gift, think about everything that you know about your student. What does she love? What are her interests? What kinds of things excite her or are especially meaningful to her? You know your student better than anyone. Build on that knowledge to make your gift especially personal.
- Think about the transition that your student is making. What’s next? If your student is finishing high school, will he go on to college, living on his own, a new job, technical school? If your student is graduating from college, is he going on to graduate school, career, a first apartment? Find a gift that speaks to that new phase in his life.
- Perhaps you’d like to focus on something commemorative and lasting. Something that your student will cherish and that will always show your pride in him.
- You might like to aim for something sentimental. Perhaps there is something from childhood or a gift that represents earlier generations of the family. You might share a piece of family jewelry or a treasured family heirloom.
- And nothing can be more personal than a handwritten letter from you expressing your pride, your dreams for your student’s future, and your love.
There are many directions that can lead you to the perfect graduation gift. Some may be expensive and others may cost almost nothing. Find the gift that you feel best matches your student’s needs and personality.
Where do I start?
Graduation gifts should be personal and meaningful, but it can be difficult to come up with ideas. We have a few lists that can help you get started. You may find the perfect gift here, or something on the list may spark new ideas for you. Be creative.
And check out our holiday list as well. Some of these will make great graduation gifts!