Cue the balloons and confetti! We’re celebrating our anniversary, or birthday, or blog day! On April Fools Day 2009, we launched ourselves into the unknown and began College Parent Central. We hoped that we might help parents as they accompanied their students on the college journey to understand more about the college experience and about their role in the process. We thought we had a good idea, but we didn’t know what to expect.
It’s now been nine years and we’re still going. We still believe there’s lots for parents to learn and understand in order to help their students prepare for, transition to, and succeed in college. We’ve been pleased, throughout the past nine years, to hear from so many parents who have found our information helpful. If you’ve landed on College Parent Central, and you are reading this, we hope you find what you need here, too.
We’re grateful for the many parents, educators and counselors who have shared our information with others, who have provided us with helpful feedback, and who have taught us so much over the years.
It is always a good idea, from time to time, to reflect on your roots. Each time we look back to the purpose that drove us to launch College Parent Central, we reaffirm that our basic principles haven’t changed.
- We believe that parents can be important partners in their child’s education from pre-school through college.
- We believe that most parents want to be involved in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that parents do have a place in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that many parents don’t know how to be involved in their child’s college experience.
- We believe that many parents don’t understand today’s college experience. (Those of us who attended college ourselves need to learn how the college experience has changed in the twenty-first century.)