We’re 100 episodes in! Lynn and Vicki take some time to look back at some of our most popular episodes, some of our favorites, some trends and themes we’ve noticed, and what we’ve loved about getting together to create this podcast. We also take a look at some of the themes we think might surface for college students and parents in the future – and there’s more to come about that in our next episode. Stay tuned!
Please leave us a review at “Love the Podcast” to help others find us.
We are so excited about celebrating our 100th podcast episode and we’re grateful for all of our listeners! We’ve had a wonderful time exploring all sorts of topics related to college parenting – whether your student is in college, getting ready for college, or just graduated.
We spent some of our time today reflecting about the last four years and how things have changed and what we’ve learned.
Vicki began by sharing a few podcast stats –
- 100 episodes
- 30 interviews with a lot of smart and wo
- over 42,000 downloads in 96 different countries.
A few months ago we launched a monthly podcast email that can keep you up-to-date about what’s coming up on the podcast and some episodes that may be relevant at the time. If you’re not on our mailing list you can sign up here. We’d love to share with you.
We also shared our most downloaded 5 episodes over the past four seasons –
- #1 – Episode #005 – Communicating with Your College Student
- #2 – Episode #007 – The Second Semester of College: The Transition No One Talks About
- #3 – Episode #094 – What to Do When Your Student Is Homesick
- #4 – Episode #004 – It’s Final Exam Time!
- #5 – Episode #045 – Transitioning from Summer to College (Part 3) – The First Six Weeks
Lynn looked back at all of our episodes and share what she learned about how the topics in our podcast episodes have followed the Covid pandemic. We’ve looked at what was going on from our vantage points as both parents and professors and it has given us a unique perspective. We hadn’t planned it, but our topics seem to document what was happening for students – and their parents. Lynn explained the trajectory so many of us felt.
We also shared some of our favorite episodes. If you haven’t listened to them, go back and see why we like these so much.
- #050 – We Celebrate Our 50th Episode with 50 Top Tips
- #007 – Second Semester of College: The Transition No One Talks About
- All of our book suggestion episodes. So much good reading out there!
- #043, #044, #045 – Senior Summer Prep Series
- #049 – The Middle Years of College : Getting the Work Done
- #079, #080, #081 – Pandemic Fallout Series
- #047, #057, #098 – College Lingo Series
Lynn’s favorites leaned toward some of our interviews:
- #038 – Jesssica Lahey (The Gift of Failure and The Addiction Inoculation)
- #029 and #085 – Elizabeth Hamblet (7 Steps to College Success: A Pathway for Students with Disabilities)
- #067 – Jill and Dave Henry (The Greatest College Health Guide You Never Knew You Needed)
- #024 – Jill Grimes (The Ultimate College Student Health Handbook)
Themes that cropped up as we looked back included resilience, accepting struggle as normal, beginning “college parenting” begins earlier and earlier, what to do when things go wrong – and they will go wrong, flexibility in how students “do college,” and as always what is our role as college parents. More about all of these in future episodes!
We’ve loved doing this podcast! We’ve had fun! We hope we’ve helped people. We’ve had an excuse to explore new topics and keep learning new things and to read our favorite books. We’ve had the opportunity to think out loud, to articulate what we’ve learned, and to build on each other’s ideas and knowledge.
We’ve also had the opportunity to talk to some of the best experts in the higher education and parenting fields and we are so very grateful for their generosity and willingness to give of their time and share their expertise. We hope you have learned as much from these interviews as we have.
We’ve come to the end of our 100th episode! We’re still patting ourselves on the back, but we also need to thank all of our listeners who have been on the journey with us.
Stay tuned to our next episode when we’ll talk about some things we’re looking ahead to Season 5. We may be changing things up a little bit, and we’re excited about some of what’s ahead, but we’ll still make every effort to share what we can to help you along your journey as college parent.
Let us know in the comments what you’ve loved or learned – and let us know what you hope to hear about in Season 5!
Don’t forget that you can listen to all of our previous podcast episodes here or subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts. You can also go to followthepodcast.com/collegeparentcentral to add our podcast (it’s free!) so that you’ll receive each new episode as we release it.
Let us know what you’d like to hear about on future podcasts! Leave a comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And finally, a request for your help. Podcast ratings and reviews are important to help our podcast become visible to more people who might want or need the information we share. We’ve made it even easier for you to leave us a review! Simply go to lovethepodcast.com/collegeparentcentral and leave us rating or review. We appreciate it – and so will the people who will find it easier to find us.